Sunday, September 13, 2009

9 the Movie - Psuedo-Spoilers

If you don't want to ruin the surprise, don't read this.

I had high hopes for the movie 9 once I heard that it was a Tim Burton movie.  The animation was well done.  I'd say beautiful, but we're talking about a post-apocalyptic landscape here.  The soundtrack was pretty killer.  Check out track 13 "The Aftermath" here

On the other hand, the ending was cheesey, and I was disappointed with the good guys' character development.  I'll concede that many of the characters experienced a trial of sorts, but their overall demeanor remained unchanged throughout.

The villains, on the other hand, were pretty wicked.  The foremost villain reminded me of Dr. Wiley meets a matrix sentinel.  This thing is a robot that creates other robots to do its bidding.  Originally, it was intended to serve mankind, much like Wiley did when he worked with Dr. Light.  Then the government turned on its master, and it went on a rampage.

(image borrowed from imdb)


There are a host of other villains that I thought were cool.  The hound was pretty basic (see below).  There was also a raven and snake that I can't seem to find pictures of.  The raven and snake were by far my favorites, too.

(image borrowed from imdb)

Overall, I give 9 a solid B-.  Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I have pretty much the same feelings about 9. Animation and style get a 10/10, but the plot and storytelling sucked ass. What a mish-mash of poorly connected ideas. Facism, robots, alchemy, souls, human extinction and some sort of psuedo-romance all wrapped up with a shitty ending that doesn't address anything at all.

    Crap.

    ReplyDelete